Tuesday, June 3, 2008

{Help? Chores list ideas??}




Ok, I am in need of a fun way of getting my kids to get there chores done before we play. I have heard of the Popsicle stick idea and the job chart idea but are there any out there that could help (lite the fire under their little !*$#%!?) I am finding that they don't want to do anything but play. I have already stated that if there jobs are not done by the time we are going (whether it is somewhere we have planned or spur of the moment) they will not be going. I am fully prepared in doing so, however I would really like my kids to have a good work ethic, and in this day and age it is hard to make that happen. Any ideas would be great, I want to make this a positive experience and we want to have a fun summer.

7 comments:

Ingersoll Family said...

Mand,

Chores are the pitts, especially in the summer but just keep trying and soon you will find that 2 Cinderella's have replaced your children. Love ya and call me soon, I miss ya! Love ya, Mon

Amy said...

Oh! I am in the same boat! Boys are the worst I think! They could care less about their rooms, cleaning or anything for that matter! If you get any good ideas please post them! I even tried to do $5 a week but if you don't do a chore you get $1 taken away. That lasted a week! LOL

Jen said...

Your blog always looks cute , I need a new updo on mine where do u go to for your back grounds???? I need a wide style ya know ..

Sorry I have no advise for my child is only 2 He only has to clean up toys!!! and some times that's a chore

Leesa said...

Well the thing that works for me if FEAR! No jk. We actually have job charts that I made on the comp and there are the days and the chores, and then there is a monetary amount in each spot. If they do the chore that day, they get the $$. Ok so it is very minimal but after a week, if they have done everything, they have about $5. I do put a total at the end of each day that shows what they earned, and what they could have earned if they had just made their bed or put the clothes away. My mom actuallky did it for me asa kid and it helped me. I know they say not to pay kids for doing work, but it helps them . Then we have had to have a lesson on SAVING the $$. Good luck with whatever you do.!
Leesa

Rick and T said...

Hi, this is Teressa- amy's sister. i love your blog! especially the tribute to diet coke. I have a jeep like yours also....fun times! since you love to dance i think you will like this idea my fun way to get the kids to do stuff around the house I call blitz the house. I do this in the evening when i want the house picked up but you could do it anytime. I crank a couple of dance songs and by the end of the songs they have to be finished doing the chores. It gets them really excited. I always have a little reward at the end-my favorite at night is to have them meet me out side when the songs are over -in their pj's- on a blanket and we have popsicles under the stars. They also love when the reward is a story on the blanket. Try this with your chores and dance around the house with them. I bet they will love it.

Jason David said...

I say make them watch the movie Cujo and then have somebody bring a St. Bernard over and leave it in the backyard by their toys until their jobs are done.
----------------------------
Seriously though - When my mom was a college student she made job lists and put them on the fridge. My sister, Rebecca, and I had to do simple jobs like make our bed, straighten our room and the like to get a tic mark at the end of the day. MOM WOULD NOT GIVE US A TIC MARK IF SHE HAD TO REMIND US in order to keep us proactive in the jobs. At the end of the week, our allowance was based on the number of marks we had (a nickle per mark I think). When we went to grandmas for a week, however, she had us move bricks and gave each of us one mark per brick so when our allowance was due we each got around 20$! (4.5x inflation from 1980 makes it the equivalent 90$ each - and remember my mom was still in college!). After that the lists dissapeard and she tried something new but it was a wonderful idea. You an even try using the tic marks as time on the phone/television/away from home credits.

How much sugar (now called evaporated cane juice on packages) and high fructose corn syrup do they eat? Try eliminating both from their diet completely. I have several friends who did that with their kids and said it made a huge difference in overall behavoir.

leslie jo said...

I think the 10 second tidy works with JO. Every once in a while or before we have to go somewhere we do that 10 sec tidy. We set the timer and she has to pick up one room, my choice, for 10 secs. She has to actually put stuff away and not stuff it all in a closet. After 10 secs are up no matter what she is done.

Related Posts with Thumbnails