Monday, June 23, 2008

{Breaking Tradition}



I know all of you are thinking what, what kind of tradition are you going to break? Well let me break it to all of you gently. How else can I say this without breaking many hearts out there? I guess there is no way to sugar coat it. I am not going to the LEHI ROUND-UP RODEO this year. I know, I know. Don't tell me. I can already hear the sighs and moans now. But doesn't every prosecutor get a defense? I can't afford an attorney so I am going to act as my own.

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, I come before you this day to make my defense in

The Gillen family v.s. The Lehi Round-up rodeo. In the past 30 years I have never missed a rodeo. I know all of you can recall the days when our butts fit comfortably on the seat, and the tickets were "affordable" and when the clown was funny. I also know all of you loved to get the famous rodeo hamburgers sold by our fabulous LDS Wards throughout Lehi. However, now days you pay out your ears for a ticket and only one of your butt cheeks fit, along with holding your knees to you chin so you have to have a paper bag because you lungs aren't getting enough air. Then you finally get settled and the woman from the other end has to pee so you have to try to stand up without kneeing the person in front of you. Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. So this year I decided to take my children to see "Wallie" the movie after the parade on Friday night. This way I can have popcorn, sit in a comfortable seat, with my GIANT Diet Coke kick up my heels and relax for 2hrs. Now doesn't this sound much more enjoyable? So come on give me a break, maybe next year the Gillens will return to the rodeo. If they change the seating arrangements or The Gillen Family develops anorexia, which ever one comes first.

Now you be the judge, does "breaking tradition" sound good to you?

14 comments:

Kathryn said...

Hey Mandee,
Thats sounds great. I went to the Lehi round up rodeo once and that was before 6 kids, i know for sure i could never fit in the seats. Going to the movie sounds so fun!! Especially with the giant diet coke, get a refill for me!! I hope things went good on Saturday! It was great seeing you!! Love ya Kathy

Amy said...

That is how the derby is up here in Heber. You have to stand in line for 5 hours to get a ticket (if your lucky) then be crammed in the stadium next to someone that stinks! LOL. You could go camping with us!! We are going to Elberta, just down by Santiquin. Let me know! You are more than welcome to come!

Mandi said...

I agree we aren't going either i'm going to be a rebel and bail out! The seats are getting worse! O and the thank you was for coming and showing up to the shower even though you were sick as a dog

DigandStacee said...

Sorry Mandee I was logged in to my friends computer. This is the famous stacee herbert

The Davis Fam said...

Hey, I'm with ya! In fact, I think I'll protest by not going to the rodeo either. Ha ha! Hope to see you all soon!

The Ericksons said...

I'm totally with you. Even after paying and squishing the rodeo itself isn't that great. You need to take your kids to the Days of 47 rodeo in the Delta Center with real seats. It's much better. Another option for next year: (This won't solve the cost problem though) Buy your regular seats and buy extra "child" ticks for the seats around you to have a little more space. I think you do have a great idea with the movie though.

katie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
katie said...

Mandee...I am accepting your challenge and saying hi! I also see that we have mutual friends. How weird and small world is that?
It looks like you are having fun so keep it up and don't mind the random comments that I may make on your blog!?!
Oh...good job on the breaking tradition! Sometimes that is needed to keep things interesting!

Emily H said...

You make me laugh. At of all the years I have lived in Lehi I have never been to the rodeo. Creed made me buy tickets this year. After reading your post I don't know if I want to go!

Anonymous said...

Mandee... Hey, its McKell-I too am accepting your challenge and saying hi... I was laughing so hard reading this entry, you haven't changed a bit! and YES I totally agree with you- there's nothing worse then the Lehi Round-Up Rodeo, but I'm sure I will be dragged to the parades. . .

Leesa said...

HERE HERE!! I agree with you totally. We went to the PG rodeo and it was hot stinky, and the seats were harder than rocks. Jon had a hard time sitting on the little benches too. I agree- BREAK TRADITION! BE A REBEL!!

Unknown said...

I have never liked the Rodeo.
Wally sounds good.
Save me a seat.
The rest of my kids go with Sam to the poop-infested arena.

Jared Pugh said...

You never know if this might be the year that a bull breaks out of the arena and gores Miss Eureka's left butt cheeck into oblivion! You wouldn't want to miss that!

Jen said...

I agree with ya on the hole rodeo situation. I don't really feel like abousing my self in taking my 2 1/2 little boy who prob won't injoy it any ways ...but I am going to miss those good burgers!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails