Wednesday, January 14, 2009

{Why Wednesday?}

Why, do women have to have miscarriages or stillborn pregnancies?

Last Friday, our good friends had a sad thing happen to their family. My sweet friend was 17 weeks pregnant. Things were going well for her throughout this pregnancy (she has hard pregnancies), the baby was growing good and she was feeling great. While I was at the scrapbook retreat I received a phone call. She was devastated and I could barley understand her. It took me a few times of repeating to get what she was saying. She was bleeding and her contractions were very strong, strong enough that she was passing out when she got up. I told her I couldn't take her to the ER because I was in Midway, but that I would call Jake and he would be right down to get her. So I get off of the phone with her, call Jake and he said he would get ahold of her hubby and see how far out he was. Needless to say he was in the garage and thought she was in the house asleep, so he didn't want to disturb her. He took her to the ER, and 1 hour and 1/2 later she made the ER give her a bed. After waiting another hour she yelled out"Hello, does anybody care that my baby is dying here?" Finally someone came in to check her. The hospital told her that there was nothing that they could do for her and she should just go home and have the baby! What, and then do what with her? (the baby) Well they said that it was just protocol and that is what usually happens. (Labor and Delivery wouldn't see her because she wasn't 20 weeks or more) She raged and said I will tell you what to do, give me an IV and flush my system, and give me something to stop my contractions. They wouldn't do either. They say that they don't do anything unless they are over 20 weeks.

To make a long story short, they ended up loosing their sweet baby girl who was just 17 weeks old. I have seen a picture of her and she was small enough to fit into a pink throw up dish, you know the ones at the hospital? She had perfect little hands and fingers, perfect little feet and toes. It is amazing to me, that at only 17 weeks old a baby could be so perfect. My heart aches for them and their family. I can only pray and hope that she will recover from this situation. I have seen her a couple of times, took her lunch and went and cleaned her home. She is still pretty numb (as she explained it to me) and sleeps alot. She wants to move on but having a hard time. I just want them to know that I love them and I wish I could take the pain from them. I love you guys!!!!

3 comments:

Mandy said...

I'm so sorry for your friend! My heart goes out to them. It just doesn't seem fair that a perfect, loving family can't bring a baby in to their lives, but sometimes a punk kid who could care less about a baby, gets a perfect little gift.

Amy said...

We saw babies at all stages of life at Body World. It amazed me how developed they are in such a short time. I can't believe they wouldn't do anything for her at 17 weeks! Poor girl. It's a good thing she has a great friend like you to help her through it.

Teresa said...

I'm sorry to hear that :( We also lost one at 16 weeks, he was perfect and tiny. It's a hard thing to get through, Just be there for her she will need it. I recommend a book for her "Gone to soon" It really helped me through it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails