Saturday, February 23, 2008

Dyslexia


Dyslexia-Wow!! When I found out that my sweet Januaree was Dyslexic I didn't know what to expect or how to help her. I knew that in order for her to succeed she would need my help and me being her voice. It has been two years now and she has come leaps and bounds. My good friend Mark helped me get her tested when she attended Lincoln Academy (wonderful charter school). He sent me to the greatest tutor and tester on earth Shellie Hatch with the Dyslexia Center of Utah. She has been our "undercover angel" here on earth. I have learned so much from her. Janee goes to see her every week twice for 45 minutes. Just having her there has raised this child's self-esteem so much we went from anxiety attacks not wanting to go to school for weeks at a time, a girl who would make herself sick every night so she didn't have to go to school, she started secluding herself from friends at school because she thought they thought she was STUPID (can you even imagine as a parent how that makes your heart feel? I cried alot). To... singing in the shower, playing the guitar, riding horses and loving it, to having made great friends at school. She is now my little social butterfly. The reason why I am sharing all of this with you is because if any of you are struggling with these same things or even something similar I strongly suggest getting your child help. I know that it is a hard pill to swallow knowing something could be wrong but I am telling you from experience GET THEM HELP SOONER THAN LATER!!! Get involved anyway you can. I am now on the Board for the Utah Branch International Dyslexia Association I am the Secretary. It is alot of work but well worth it. Wouldn't you do what you could for your child?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails